St. Cuthbert’s RC Primary School
Newsletter 1 – Friday 14th August 2020
St Cuthbert’s CARES We are: Creative Active Respectful Equal Supported
Good afternoon everyone, whether you are one of the sizeable number of new families with pupils attending the school or have been with us longer, we would like to welcome you all warmly back to St Cuthbert’s. Please accept sincere thanks from myself and the staff team for your support in ensuring a safe and happy return to school for our pupils. Please see our latest information update below. The newsletter will continue to be published on our website, app and Learning Journals platforms every Friday going forward.
Start and End Times (These will apply until further notice)
Access for Parents/Carers
|Enter and Exit School By:||Start Time||End of Day Wed/Thurs||End of Day
|P1||Yes, via side entrance gate||P1 class door||8.45am||2.50pm||12.05pm|
|P2||Yes, via side entrance gate||Infant Entrance (same as last year)||9am||3.05pm||12.25pm|
|P3||Yes, via main entrance gate||Main Door||8.55am||3.20pm||12.30pm|
|P5||No||Upper School Entrance||8.55am||3.20pm||12.30pm|
|P6||No||Upper School Entrance||9am||3.25pm||12.35pm|
|P7||No||Upper School Entrance||9.05am||3.30pm||12.40pm|
|LCC1||Yes, via back entrance gate.||LCC Door||8.55am||3.20pm||12.20pm|
|LCC2||Yes, via back entrance gate.||LCC Door||8.55am||3.20pm||12.20pm|
- All pupils should attend school full time in whole class groups from today onwards. (please see timings above).
- Thank you for your continued support in ensuring that our pupils arrive as close to their start time as possible.
- Thanks also for ensuring that pupils remain out-with grounds until their allocated time of entry. This ensures our playground is socially distanced for pupil entry to building. Please also note that for the time being unfortunately, only parents/carers from P1-3 can enter the playground.
- We will continue to encourage regular handwashing when children are in school and hand sanitisers will be widely available throughout the building. Enhanced cleaning will take place daily and classrooms will be well ventilated.
- Children will remain in their own class bubbles. They will not mix with other classes at any part of the school day. Lunches are eaten in class bubbles, the playground is zoned in class zones and a one way system operates in the corridors.
- Uniform is optional for the time being, many families may want to wash clothes daily before coming back into school. Staff will be dressed more causally than normal. Wearing comfortable clothes to school will also reduce the need to change for PE. Children will be spending a lot of time outdoors so waterproof and warm clothes are required each day, depending on weather conditions.
- Please ensure that your child brings a full water bottle to school, as pupils for safety reasons, do not have access to water fountains to fill them up during the course of the day.
- Unfortunately, as things stand children are not advised to bring anything other than a snack or their lunch with them to school. All stationery and resources will be provided by the school.
- We understand that you will be anxious and have questions about your child’s return to school. Please feel free to call or e-mail at any time and I will seek to respond as promptly as I can. (0131 443 2621, firstname.lastname@example.org). If you wish to come into school to discuss any matter in person, please make an appointment via the school office.
We are delighted to announce that Mrs McLeish, our Support for Learning Teacher has returned from secondment and re-joins our staff team this year.
I would also like to make you aware that Ms Louise Donnelly, our LCC1 Teacher will be leaving us on September 4th to take up a new career opportunity. We thank her sincerely for her hard work, skilled teaching and the significant contribution to the life of the school during her time with us. Mrs Holden has written separately to our LCC parents, explaining our future plans for staffing in LCC.
Please note that Mrs Barry will continue to teach P4 on a Monday-Wednesday and that Miss Donnelly will teach the class on Thursdays and Fridays. Mr Vilanova-Diaz will then take on the responsibility of the Thursday and Friday when Miss Donnelly goes on maternity leave.
If your child requires medication whilst at school this year, please ensure that you contact our office and complete the necessary paperwork and procedures.
School Meals and Milk
For those parents who are registered on Parent Pay, they should continue to use this system to order meals as normal. Parents of new families, who are not currently registered on Parent Pay, should expect a letter next week containing activation details.
A letter will also come out next week confirming arrangements for milk provision this term.
Consent packs will be sent home next week for the flu nasal spray vaccinations for all children in our school. The completed form should be signed and returned no later than Friday 28th August. If you do not return this completed form by this deadline, your child will not be given the flu vaccination spray in school.
Flu vaccination is more important than ever in the context of COVIS-19 to decrease pressure on the NHS and improve the baseline health of the most vulnerable.
St Cuthbert’s Nursery
The building within our grounds to the left of the main school building will become our school nursery. The current planned opening date is late October this year (this is dependent on confirmation from City of Edinburgh Council). If you would like your child to attend our nursery, you can send your application form to the Early Years inbox email@example.com . Provided you also select a second and third choice on the application form, City of Edinburgh Council will be able to provide you with an alternative placing until St Cuthbert’s is ready.
Building Works at St Cuthbert’s Primary School
The main work on our building has been completed and it has certainly resulted in a much refreshed school interior (which we look forward to showing off to you, as soon as we are permitted to). There are still a small number of outstanding jobs to be completed but the end is in sight.
Our Learning This Week in St Cuthbert’s Primary School
As per City of Edinburgh Council’s advice, our first week’s learning in all classes has been focused on:
- Reconnecting relationships – supporting the re-establishment of peer to peer and adult to children/young people relationships
- Acknowledging experiences – being curious, acknowledging feelings and reactions and creating time and space for dialogue
- Creating a nurturing environment
- Supporting our learners to build resilience
A Message from our local Parish – St. Cuthbert’s, Slateford.
Fr Duffy passes on his best wishes to all of our families on their return to school. Fr Duffy is considered to be part of our school bubble and will be able to visit 2 classes a day, starting from next week. Attendance at Mass can now be secured by booking online. Please see details on the parish website.
Saturday 6pm – Vigil Mass
Sunday 10am – Parish Mass
Sunday 5pm – Additional Mass
Please note that Archbishop Cushley will also be praying for our pupils, families and schools at our Assumption Day Mass on Sunday. See links below to access this Mass. It can be viewed live on Facebook at 9am and thereafter on the archdiocesan website.
Head Teacher Availability
As above, please continue to feel very welcome at any time to contact me by phone or arrange an appointment with me in person if you have any questions or if I can help in any other way.
I hope that you and your families have a great weekend!
Mr P Brack, Head Teacher